[MM] Montgomery Museum Garden

300 Pepper St.  Christiansburg

Beth Umberger and Master Gardeners

The gardens surrounding the former Montgomery Museum (built originally as the Presbyterian Church Manse in about 1854) have been developed over the years by Master Gardeners in 1989. In the last 15 years hundreds of community volunteers with guidance from Beth Umberger developed the lower part of the garden as a native habitat. Using plants native to the eastern United States the goal is to provide host plants for insects and their predators. Vegetables are grown in the garden to share with the community.

All photos (C) Charles Bostian and Sue Hossack

The  Montgomery Museum of Art & History (now at 400 E. Main St) has an Outdoor Art ‘Gallery’ at this site. The  current Art Exhibit is title “Flower Art in the Garden‘ and features work from over a dozen local participants.